This home-baked sandwich bread is the true “Wonder Bread,” because it is made with coconut flour and Honey Melt® so it tastes great and is truly good for you. Even better, this bread recipe is free of gluten, grain, soy, milk, corn, and refined sugar. It not only slices beautifully when warm out of the oven, but also can be sliced into thinner pieces when it has cooled. This coconut bread makes fantastic toast, French toast and BLT sandwiches. This recipe is adapted from Starlene Stewart’s new GAPS Diet cookbook, Beyond Grain and Dairy.
- 12 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Honey Melt®, softened
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to325°F if using a glass loaf pan (8½” x 4½” x 2½”); otherwise preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease loaf pan and line with parchment paper for complete ease in removing the loaf.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, softened Honey Melt, honey and salt. Cream together on low until smooth.
- Pack the coconut flour firmly into the ½ measuring cup, using the back of a straight knife to level off the flour with the top edge.
- Sift the coconut flour to ensure there are no lumps.
- Coconut flour can differ between brands, so it can be tricky to work with. Adding coconut flour slowly and in smaller amounts to attain the preferred texture is better than compensating by adding more liquids and fats.
- Begin by adding ¼ cup of coconut flour to the Honey Melt-egg mixture.
- Blend until well mixed; then allow the batter to sit for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of coconut flour slowly by adding 1 tablespoon at a time until the batter texture is somewhat fluffy but not as runny as cake mix batter.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes so the coconut flour can fully absorb the liquids.
- Add baking soda to batter and mix together quickly.
- Add vinegar to batter and mix thoroughly (about 2-3 seconds).
- Pour immediately into the parchment-lined bread pan and place in preheated oven.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Lightly cover and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Loaf will feel firm to the touch when it is done. Allow the loaf to cool on a rack before slicing.