Summer days are just around the corner and these delicious gorgonzola and walnut stuffed apples are easy to prepare with Melt® Organic. Add this to your nutritious dessert options when you fire up the grill for your backyard barbeque. Not a gorgonzola and walnut fan? Substitute brie and hazelnut as described below. This recipe is adapted from Better Homes and Gardens and makes 4 servings.
4 medium cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Jonathan, cored
¼ cup Gorgonzola, Stilton, or Roquefort cheese, crumbled
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons Melt® Organic, melted
4 teaspoons honey
Honey for drizzling
- Core apples almost to the bottom, leaving approximately 1/2 inch.
- Remove 1 inch of peel from the top of each apple.
- In a small bowl stir together Gorgonzola, walnuts, and Melt Organic.
- Fill each cored apple three-fourths full.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon honey into each.
- Add remaining filling to apples.
- Place apples in a disposable foil pan.
- Cover and grill for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender:
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat over center of grill. Place apples on rack in the center of the grill.
- For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust grill for indirect grilling. Place apples on grill rack.
- Drizzle each serving with additional honey; serve warm.
Variation: Brie and Hazelnut Stuffed Apples
Prepare as directed except substitute 1/3 cup of finely cubed brie for the Gorgonzola, 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts for the walnuts, 4 teaspoons fig or red currant preserves for the honey, and add 1 teaspoon snipped fresh tarragon to the cheese mixture. To serve, melt additional preserves and drizzle over apples.