Gluten-Free Carrot Cake made with Melt® Organic icing is an easy favorite AND it’s made with HALF of the sugar.
- Cake batter (per layer):
- 1¼ cups honey butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups carrots, grated
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour*
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- *Gluten-free flour mix is 4 cups brown rice flour, 1⅓ cups potato starch (NOT flour), ⅔ cup tapioca starch. Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Shake until well blended.
Icing (per layer):
- ¼ cup Melt Organic, softened
- 8oz cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a baking tin.
- Beat the honey butter and sugar with a hand blender until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating in between. Beat until thick.
- Add the carrots and chopped walnuts and mix well by hand.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Blend the wet ingredients with the dry.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes then tip out onto a cooling rack.
For the icing
- Blend the Melt Organic, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a hand blender until creamy.
- Smooth the topping over the top of the cake when cold.
- For a multi-layered carrot cake, double or triple the recipe accordingly with icing between each layer and on top.