Resist no longer. Roasted salt and vinegar chickpeas are just as tasty and crunchy but with a protein-mineral punch that only garbanzo beans can deliver. This recipe is adapted from The Elephant Journal.
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups white vinegar
Sea salt, to taste
3 tablespoons of Rich & Creamy Melt® Organic or Baking Melt®, softened
- Place chickpeas, vinegar and a dash of salt into a pot and bring to a boil. Once the mix begins to boil, remove from heat immediately and allow the legumes to soak for 40 minutes in the warm vinegar.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain chickpeas of excess vinegar (which can be saved for making future batches).
- Pour the chickpeas into a mixing bowl and toss with Melt Organic and salt to taste.
- Once the chickpeas are evenly coated with Baking Melt and salt, spread them evenly on a baking sheet. NOTE: For extra flavor and kick, experiment with adding some pepper, chili powder or garlic powder.
- Bake the chickpeas for 35-45 minutes; every 10 minutes, toss them around to ensure even roasting and to make sure they are turning golden brown (not black).
- Remove from the oven once they are nice and toasted, and allow them sit for 10 minutes before munching. They should be crunchy on the outside and a little soft on the inside.
- Store the leftovers in the refrigerator.
These can be made in larger batches (e.g., 3-4 cans of beans) to save time during the week. Having them waiting in the refrigerator makes wholesome food decisions much easier to make!