This gluten-free Banana Blueberry Loaf recipe is excellent whether or not you are avoiding wheat. Neither I nor my husband could tell that this wonderfully moist and satisfying bread had not been made with wheat flour – except for the lack of digestive heaviness one feels from eating wheat. Other gluten-free bread recipes made with coconut flour use so many eggs it is almost like eating soufflé. Not this recipe: it is bready, moist, and lovely with a generous dollop of Melt Organic spread on top. This recipe is adapted from Strands of My Life.
1 ripe medium-sized banana or 2 small ripe bananas
1 medium potato, boiled and mashed
¼ cup Melt Organic, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup unrefined sugar
1¼ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour*
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
*Gluten-free flour mix is 4 cups brown rice flour, 1⅓ cups potato starch (NOT flour), ⅔ cup tapioca starch. Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Shake until well blended.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, blend the banana, potato, Melt Organic and vanilla.
- Add the eggs and blend again.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Add the blueberries and mix gently.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin lined with parchment paper and bake for 1 hour.
- Cool completely before slicing.