- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted Melt Butter Sticks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) Melt Butter Sticks
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and lightly flour two 9” cake pans and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup almond milk and vinegar, stir and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Next, add in 1/2 stick melted Melt Butter Sticks and, vanilla, almond milk mixture, and applesauce. Beat on medium to high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Microwave 1 cup of water for 1-2 minutes and add to batter slowly and carefully.
- Pour an even amount of batter into both cake pans and baked for 30-40 minutes. Check with a toothpick to see when done.
- Take pans out and cool for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on cooling rack.
- To make frosting, beat cocoa powder and 3 sticks melted Melt Butter Sticks on low to medium until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in 1/4 cup almond milk and 2 cups powdered sugar until combined. Add in remaining 2 cups powdered sugar and beat until combined. If frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. If frosting is too thick, add more almond milk, 1 tbsp at a time.
- When cakes are completely cooled, cut one of the cake tops so it’s completely flat. Frost the top of that cake liberally. Then top with the second cake and frost the entire outside of cakes. Cool in refrigerator or serve right away.