Cranberry-coriander Jelly Vegan Beignets
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cashew milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 5 ½ tsp. agave syrup
- 2 tbsp. Melt Organic™ butter [melted]
- 3 tsp. egg substitute
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
Cranberry-coriander Jelly Ingredients
- 1-2 persimmons peel or orange peel
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup toasted coriander seed (optional, gives this a nice crunch!)
- ¾ cup red wine
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Start by blooming your yeast in the cashew milk. For best results this should be done at room temperature.
- Next, add all Beignet ingredients by hand or using a mixer. After 5 minutes of mixing or kneading by hand, the dough will be sticky, and that’s a good sign!
- Place your dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover for 2 hours. Again, this should be done at room temperature. I like to proof my dough in the oven with the oven light on.
- After 2 hours your dough will double in size. Go ahead and punch your dough to deflate it. Now, you’re ready to roll it out to 1/4” inch thick.
- You can cut the traditional beignet squares or have fun with it! I used a circle cookie cutter.
- Have some vegetable oil heated to 350 degrees. Now, you are ready to fry them up! 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Fill with the cranberry-coriander jelly [recipe below] or simply coat them with powdered sugar.
Cranberry-coriander Jelly Instructions
- Toast your coriander seeds for 5 minutes over low-medium heat, in a small sauce pot or skillet. You will hear them popping and sizzling.
- Combine all Cranberry-coriander Jelly ingredients and let it come to a boil. Then, lower heat to medium.
- Cranberries will start to break and become syrupy and jammy. This is good!
- Cool down for 20-30 minutes before stuffing your beignets.
- Make sure you use a piping tip big enough to allow your jam to flow out nicely into the beignet. Bite, smile and enjoy!