Our Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole is classic comfort food without making you feeling uncomfortable later. Spaghetti squash has a surprisingly similar texture to hash browns but with much more to offer nutritionally. Combined with sautéed onions, creamy yogurt, and raw goat cheddar, this satisfying dish will be a welcome addition to your family dinner. Adapted from Detoxinista. Serves 4-6.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1-2 tablespoons Melt® Organic
- ½ large or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup plain goat milk yogurt
- 3 oz raw goat cheddar, shredded and divided into 3 equal piles
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Place the spaghetti halves face down on a baking sheet and cook for 60 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the outer shell.
- Remove the squash from the oven and turn the halves face up so they can cool.
- Lightly sauté the onion in Melt over low-medium heat until it is tender. Add the pressed garlic and stir so it loses its raw smell, but does not burn.
- Transfer the onion and garlic to a large sized mixing bowl and combine with the yogurt, 2 oz of the cheddar, salt and pepper.
- When the spaghetti squash is cool, use a fork across the width of the squash to scrape out the “noodles” and add to the mixture. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2.5 quart casserole dish and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top and return to the oven to bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 400 degrees, or until a light golden brown crust has formed on the top. Serve immediately.