Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes is my husband’s favorite dish. The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic French dish combine to make a deliciously addictive experience. It is the perfect side dish with roasted pork loin or beef tenderloin, and it is easy to experiment with different cheeses for variety.
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼” rounds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons Melt® Organic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 1 quart casserole dish with organic virgin coconut oil.
- Layer half of the potatoes into the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
- Top with the onion slices and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt Melt Organic over low heat. Mix in the flour and salt and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute or until it thickens.
- Stir in the milk and raise the temperature to low-medium heat. Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the cheese all at once and continue stirring until melted, about 30 – 60 seconds.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 90 minutes. For a nice golden crust on top, place under broil for 10 minutes uncovered.